I am becoming rather proud of culinary skills lately. I have graduated from just cooking for J and my family to now cooking for big groups of people. Last Sunday DS and Y hosted a Potluck in their backyard and I cooked up a big batch of dahi vada and people actually enjoyed it.
In fact I overheard this conversation between DS and Y
DS: This is great, Did X make this ?
Y: No , this is the dish N and J brought
DS: N made this , really , wow!
The setting was really fun, they had set up a long picnic bench and it felt like this big family meal outdoors. There were Italian dishes, tapas, mac and cheese, shortbread cookies and Tempeh and also DS’s homebrew. After dinner Y and I watched her wedding video and the boys made fun of us. Also I got an email from DS saying that they will be hosting every sunday , so it will become a summer tradition.
Anyway to celebrate the summer season, I am posting a recipe for Dahi Vada( Dough balls in Yoghurt): A yummy, chilled summer snack
Dahi Vada ( Makes 6 small portions)
- 1 1/2 cups Urad Daal without skin (black lentils)
- Salt to taste
- 2″ piece of ginger grated
- 2 green chillies chopped very fine
- Vegetable/ canola/ sunflower oil for deep frying
- 3 cups thick fresh yoghurt (should not be sour)
- Red chilli powder to taste
- 1 tbsp chaat masala
- 2 tsps cumin seeds roasted gently and ground into a fine powder
- 1 1/2 tsp sugar
- Chopped corainder leaves to garnish